I (and my family) love this creamy chicken bake. It is especially good for using leftover roasted chicken and will easily leave leftovers that can be used for lunch or be frozen for a follow up meal.
There are several variations in the ingredients that depend on your personal taste. My favorite version is using our homemade chevre (store bought is fine as well) and cheddar with extra bacon.
I will pair this dish with a crispy sauteed vegetable such as green beans. Green beans are delicious with the bacon in the bake and I can saute them using the bacon drippings. You can add a side of rice or pasta to bulk up this meal.
3c Chopped Chicken
6 Slices Bacon
1 Head Chopped Cauliflower (about 3 cups)
2 Cloves Garlic
1c Grated Cheddar Cheese
3/4c Chevre or Cream Cheese
1 Sprig Fresh Thyme (Optional)
3/4c Chicken Broth
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. If you are starting with uncooked chicken, rough chop the chicken and cook thoroughly with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in your cast iron pan or skillet. Remove from the pan and place in baking dish. If you are starting with roasted chicken, rough chop your chicken and place in baking dish.
3. Cook your bacon to a crisp in your cast iron pan or skillet. I do not recommend cooking your bacon and chicken in the same skillet at the same time. Remove the bacon, chop place in your baking dish.
4. Chop the cauliflower and place in a pot of water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer the cauliflower for 3 -5 minutes until slightly tender. Drain and place in your baking dish.
5. To prepare the sauce, transfer 2 tablespoons of bacon grease to your sauce pan. Mince the garlic and add to the pan, cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the chevre or cream cheese, stock and fresh thyme. Stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer until the sauce in well blended.
6. Add half the Cheddar cheese and stir into the sauce until smooth and thick.
7. Discard the thyme sprig then pour the sauce over the chicken, bacon and cauliflower. Stir all ingredients in the baking dish to mix in the sauce.
8. Sprinkle the remaining Cheddar cheese.
9. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
10. You can use the remaining bacon grease to saute your chosen vegetable. I usually choose green beans with a little kosher salt.
Nutrition: Calories: 337 per serving Carbs: 6g (4 net) Fat: 19g Protein: 24g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g